Switch – Make one!
Objective: Build a basic pressure sensitive switch
1. Gather your materials:
Each person will start with…
2. Cut cardboard into two pieces each measuring 2″x3″.
3. Cut aluminum foil tape into two pieces each measuring 2″x3″.
5. Cut two thin strips of foam.
6. Sandwich two foam pieces between the cardboard. Wrap with rubber band to keep the sandwich together.
7. Connect two alligator clips – one to the top piece of cardboard and one to the bottom piece. Make sure the alligator clips make good contact with the aluminum foil tape.
8. Squeeze to operate
9. Find and play a game
10. BONUS: Once you’ve played a single switch game, partner with others and find games that require multiple switches. Connect your switches to the same Makey Makey.
11. BONUS: Watch the videos below.
A primer on DIY switches from The Tinkering Studio:
Different types of switches used to trigger a sound.
How many of these buttons can you recreate using simple materials?